Vose Library is a significant Christian library, existing to resource both Vose students and others in Western Australia.
Over the last five decades, we have built up a collection we are proud of, consisting of 44,000 books and thousands of journals, including eighty current titles. Our library is constantly growing and innovating, adding 2000 new titles each year. It is the place to keep pace with development in Christian thinking and practice. Our collection includes a broad range of Christian perspectives as well as secular writers, with an evangelical focus and a Baptist heritage.
You’re welcome to come and browse the library; to borrow, you can become a member
During semester, including study breaks, our opening hours are:
- Monday: 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Tuesday to Thursday: 8:30am – 7pm
- Friday: 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Saturday: 10am – 1pm
Between semesters, our opening hours are:
- Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm
*The Library is closed on public holidays. You can return books anytime through the after-hours chute.
Phone: (08) 6313-6288 (direct line to the library)
Vose subscribes to the following online databases:
- American Theological Libraries Association (ATLA) with ATLASerials
- Religion and Philosophy Collection– search both of these databases through the EBSCO gateway; they provide many articles in full text, and ATLA also lists many books which Vose may or may not have.
- ProquestReligion – Our subscription to this database began in July 2011. It has some overlap with the EBSCO databases, but also a number of journals not in EBSCO.
- Australasian Religion Index – This database lists Australian and New Zealand journals and theses. It does not have full text and needs to be searched within the library. Students and staff may ask for the password for offsite searching.
EBSCO Databases Guide
This guide goes through the basics of using the EBSCO journals databases in four pages. It includes some practice exercises.
eBOOKS, DVD COLLECTION & AUDIO BOOKS
Vose has a growing collection of ebooks – full text books you can read on your computer or portable reading device. If you are a student or library member you can access them anywhere you have an internet connection.
The first time you want to use ebooks, you will need to create an account, which library staff then approve the next business day.
For details on how to use ebooks, download the guide.
Our collection of 400 DVDs features documentaries about Christian history and theology, teaching DVDs, small group DVDs, and some films and junior DVDs.
Our audio book collection features recordings of both classic and recent books on Christian life and thought.
The Vose Booksale, now in its third decade, is one of the most popular campus events. Although renowned for the selection of Christian books available, the booksale also features an enticing array of children’s books, fiction, non-fiction, and antiquarian.
- Annual Sale 2017
The 2017 sale grand opening day will be held on Saturday, 8 April. If you would like to volunteer to assist with the Booksale preparations or on the day, please speak to one of our friendly Library staff.
- Perpetual sale
Vose also runs a year round Christian book sale at the front of the library. More books are added every week. The books are for sale whenever the library is open, with extended hours until 7pm Tuesday to Thursday during semester.
We accept donations of books all year round. We do not take the following items:
- Discarded library books
- Old magazines
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Novels
You can drop donations off at any time. If you have any questions, please call us on 6313 6288. Books are best delivered in small boxes about the size of a box of A4 photocopy paper.
Anyone can use our library, but to borrow books you need to become a member. All Vose students are automatically given membership as part of their enrolment process. You can borrow most items for three weeks and renewals are available.
- Standard membership:
Cost is $35 for 6 months / $60 for 12 months
- 12 books / DVDs
- electronic journals access (EBSCO – ATLAS and RPC; Proquest Religion)
- Vose-owned ebooks collection
- Basic membership:
Cost is $25 for 6 months / $40 for 12 months
- 4 books / DVDs
- no electronic journals access
- Vose-owned ebooks collection
If you wish to join the library, you can either come in and fill in a membership form, or send a membership form by post or email and ring us with your credit card details.
- Health care or pension card holders, alumni and Baptist pastors receive a 20% discount.
- You are welcome to use our carpark while in the library; please ask for a temporary permit from reception or the library desk.
The archives of Baptist Union of Western Australia are held in a separate location within the Vose Seminary Library. They contain a treasure trove of Western Australian Baptist history.
The collection covers three main areas:
- Baptist Union and its committees, societies and agencies: minutes, correspondence, handbooks and yearbooks, periodicals, reports, publications and manuscripts.
- Baptist churches and fellowships affiliated with the Baptist Union of WA : minutes, correspondence, reports and publications.
- Ministers and lay-people : profiles, photographs, tape recordings, sermons and publications.
- The Advocate 2001-
- Annual Assembly Reports
- The Australian Baptist [incomplete]
- Baptist Union of WA Handbooks
- Churinga [incomplete]
- Contact 1961-2001
- The West Australian Baptist News 1902-1953 [incomplete]
- Westralian Baptist
- Finding Aids
Material which has been accessioned is recorded in a computerised database. Because it is it is held in locked compactus shelving, you need to arrange with the archivist to access it.
There are also a number of secondary aids designed to give quick access to basic information – including churches, statistics, presidential addresses, secretarial reports.
A second set of serial holdings are available as open access copies on unlocked shelves.
Photocopying may only be carried out by the archivist or the archivist’s representative. Fragile materials may not be photocopied unless they have been encapsulated, and even then restrictions may apply.
There is no policy restricting publication, but acknowledgement is expected.
- Searching and Fees
For family searches and enquirers not directly connected to the Baptist Churches of WA, a fee may be charged if you cannot visit the archives in person and require a search taking more than ten minutes.
These library guides provide information on key aspects of the library. Some are designed to be a self-paced tutorials, including exercises. If anything is unclear in the guides, please ask one of the library staff to explain. Print copies are available from the library desk.
- The Library Catalogue– you need to understand how to use the library catalogue in order to locate the right books and renew and reserve. Includes some tips on advanced searching to get better results.
- The Journals Database– learn how to use the EBSCO databases for full text articles and abstracts of print journals. Your lecturer will expect you to know how to do this!
- E-books– a guide to accessing and using our growing range of electronic books.
- The Australasian Religion Index– a database of Australian and New Zealand religious journals available from within Vose.
- Evaluating Books– a guide to working out a book’s purpose and its relevance to your topic.
- Buying Christian Books
The Vose Library manual includes all the library guides, as well as a general introduction to services and exercises to develop your library skills.